Feb 16, 2010

Ann Siang Hill, Singapore

The early Chinese immigrants visited Ann Siang Hill when they wanted to send money home to their families in China as it was the traditional site of remittance houses. Letter writers and calligraphers also had their businesses at the five-foot way of the shop-houses to help the illiterate immigrants write letters home. Most of the houses here were built between 1903 and 1941. Ann Siang Road, which has elegantly restored shophouses today, was once the traditional home of clan associations and exclusive social clubs.

No comments: